Our Manual in terms of Section 51 of the Promotion of Access to Information Act
QVS Qualification Verifications (Pty) Ltd
Registration Number: 2004/030690/07
Table of contents
- I. Preamble.
- II. Introduction to this private body.
- III. Section A - Our details.
- IV. Section B - The official guide.
- V. Section C - Information available in terms of the Act.
- VI. Procedure for requesting access to the above information.
- VII. Annexure "A" - Form C; Request for access to record of this private body.
- VIII. Annexure "B" Fees in respect of private bodies.
The Promotion of Access to Information Act No. 2 of 2000, ("the Act") came into operation on 3 November 2001. Section 51 of this Act requires that we as a private body compile a manual giving information to the public regarding the procedure to be followed in requesting information from us for the purpose of exercising or protecting rights.Top
Qualification Verification Services - or QVS for short - is a public-private-partnership that verifies South African academic qualifications and student enrolments online. QVS acts as agent of participating academic institutions on whose behalf data is captured and disclosed to third parties, in compliance with statutory guidelines.
- For buyers: We verify qualifications and student enrolments, and provide various related services. Our services are legal, fast, secure and cost-effective, and our clients include background-screening companies, recruiters, corporates, banks, insurers, government, professional associations, SMEs, individuals and students.
- For suppliers: Our suppliers include academic institutions (universities, colleges, etc.), educational departments and professional associations. We form partnerships with these institutions to obtain information in exchange for a generous percentage of the fees that QVS charges to verify qualifications and render related services.
- For students: Students, alumni and parents, sponsors or guardians of students can securely and instantly verify academic qualifications and student enrolments. Various other services are also available to students and alumni.
Established in 2009, QVS is based in the Techno Park in Stellenbosch and provides secure and online services to clients all over South Africa and globally.Top
Full Name: QVS Qualification Verification Services (Pty) Ltd Registration Number: 2004/030690/07 Registered Address : Namib House 30 Techno Road Techno Park Stellenbosch 7600 Postal Address: P O Box 515 Somerset Mall 7137 Telephone Number: (021) 880-1033 /1490 Fax Number: (021) 880 1533 CEO and Designated Information Officer : Danie Strydom Email Address of Information Officer : email@example.com Website : www.qvs.co.za
Section 10 of the Act requires the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) to publish a Guide containing information reasonably required by a person wishing to exercise or protect any right in terms of this Act. The Guide will contain the following information:
- 1. The objects of the Act.
- 2. Particulars of the information officer of every public body;
- 3. Particulars of every private body as are practicable;
- 4. The manner and form of a request for access to information held by a body;
- 5. Assistance available from both the information officers and the Human Rights Commission in terms of this Act;
- 6. All remedies in law regarding acts, omissions, rights and duties, including how to lodge an internal appeal and a court application;
- 7. Schedules of fees to be paid in relation to requests for access to information;
- 8. Regulations made in terms of the Act.
- 9. Copies of this Guide will be available as soon as it is published by the SAHRC.
- 10. Enquiries regarding the Guide can be addressed to the SAHRC, the contact details of which are as follows.
- South African Human Rights Commission
- Promotion of Access to Information Act Unit
- Research and Documentation Department Private
- Private Bag 2700
- Telephone: (011) 484-8300
- Fax: (011) 484-0582
- Web site: www.sahrc.org.za
- E-mail: PAIA@sahrc.org.za
V. SECTION C - INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN TERMS OF THE ACT
We hold the following categories of information:
(a) STATUTORY COMPANY INFORMATION.
(b) ACCOUNTING RECORDS.
(c) STATUTORY EMPLOYEE RECORDS.
(g) FIXED PROPERTY.
(i) INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
(j) AGREEMENTS AND CONTRACTS.
(n) INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY.
VI. PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING ACCESS TO THE ABOVE INFORMATION.
If you wish to request access to any of the above categories of information, you are required to complete a request form as set out in annexure "A" hereto. These forms are available from:
- our CEO/Information Officer (whose contact details are in section A of this manual);
There is a prescribed fee (payable in advance) for requesting and accessing information in terms of the Act. Details of these fees are contained in the request form.
You may also be called upon to pay the additional fees prescribed by regulation for searching for and compiling the information which you have requested, including copying charges.
It is important to note that access to information is not automatic - you must identify the right you are seeking to exercise or protect and explain why the record you request is required for the exercise or protection of that right. You will be notified in the manner indicated by you on the request form whether your request has been approved.Top
VII. ANNEXURE "A".
REQUEST FOR ACCESS TO RECORD OF PRIVATE BODY (Section 53 (1) of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (Act No. 2 of 2000)) [Regulation 10]Top
VIII. ANNEXURE "B".
FEES IN RESPECT OF PRIVATE BODIES
1) The fee for a copy of the manual as contemplated in regulation 9 (2) (c) is R1,10 for every photocopy of an A4-size page or part thereof.
2) The fees for reproduction referred to in regulation 11 (1) are as follows:
Rand a. For every photocopy of an A4-size page or part thereof 1.10 b. For every printed copy of an A4-size page or part thereof held on a computer or
c. in electronic or machine-readable form
0.75 d. For a copy in a computer-readable form on;
- (i) Stiffy disc
- (ii) Compact disc
e. For a transcription of visual images, for an A4-size or part thereof 40.00 f. For a copy of visual images 60.00 g. For a transcription of an audio record, for an A4-size page or part thereof 20.00 h. For a copy of an audio record 30.00
3) The request fee payable by a requester, other than a personal requester, referred to in regulation 11 (2) is R50,00.
4) The access fees payable by a requester referred to in regulation 11 (3) are as follows:
Rand a. For every photocopy of an A4-size page or part thereof. 1.10 b. For every printed copy of an A4-size page or part thereof held on a computer or in electronic or machine-readable form. 0.75 c. For a copy in a computer-readable form on;
- i. (i) Stiffy disc
- ii. (ii) Compact disc
d. For a transcription of visual images, for an A4-size or part thereof 40.00 e. For a copy of visual images 60.00 f. For a transcription of an audio record, for an A4-size page or part thereof 20.00 g. For a copy of an audio record 30.00 h. To search for and prepare the record for disclosure, R30,00 for each hour or part of an hour reasonably required for such search and preparation.
5) For purposes of section 54 (2) of the Act, the following applies:
- a. Six hours as the hours to be exceeded before a deposit is payable; and
- b. one third of the access fee is payable as a deposit by the requester.
- c. The actual postage is payable when a copy of a record must be posted to a requester.